Print history of "The Mortal Immortal"
Print history of 'The Mortal Immortal'
This page indicates the various publications in which 'The Mortal Immortal' was published between 1833 and 1990. Professor Charles Robinson's comments come from his valuable note on 'The Mortal Immortal' in his Mary Shelley: Collected Tales and Stories.
- Manuscript: the 36-page fair-copy holograph 'The Mortal Immortal: A Tale' is in the collection of The Houghton Library, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
- 'The Mortal Immortal: A Tale,' The Keepsake for MDCCCXXXIV , ed. Frederic Mansel Reynolds (London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman ) 71-87.
- 'The Mortal Immortal,' The Casquet of Literature: being a Selection of Prose and Poetry from the Works of the Most Admired Authors , ed. Charles Gibbon, 4 vols. (London: Blackie & Son, Limited, 1873) III, 353-59.
- 'The Mortal Immortal,' The Casquet of Literature, being a Selection of Prose and Poetry from the Works of the Most Admired Authors , ed. Charles Gibbon and Mary Elizabeth Christie, 6 vols. (London, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Dublin: Blackie & Son, Limited, 1896) III, 369-75.
- 'The Mortal Immortal,' The Library of Choice Literature and Encyclopaedia of Universal Authorship: The Masterpieces of the Standard Writers of all Nations and All Time , ed. Ainsworth R. Spofford and Charles Gibbon, 5 vols. (Philadelphia: Gebbie & Co., 1890) III, 353-59.
- 'The Mortal Immortal,' Tales and Stories , ed. Richard Garnett, The Treasure House of Tales by Great Authors (London: William Paterson & Co., 1891) 148-64.
- The Mortal Immortal , Issued by Mossant, Vallon & Co., n.d. [Charles Robinson comments: "the text occupies 24 pages in this unpaginated brochure owned by Sam Moskowitz and believed by him to have been published between 1880 and 1910"].
- 'The Mortal Immortal,' Great Short Stories of Detection, Mystery and Horror , ed. Dorothy L. Sayers, Second series (London: Victor Gollancz, 1931) 1080-92.
- 'The Mortal Immortal,' A Century of Thrillers: From Poe to Arlen , with a Foreword by James Agate (London: Daily Express Publications, 1934) 167-80.
- 'The Mortal Immortal,' Century of Thrillers , 3 vols. (New York: President Press, 1937) III, 94-106.
- 'The Mortal Immortal,' Masterpieces of Science Fiction , ed. Sam Moskowitz (Cleveland, Ohio: The World Publishing Company, 1974; rpt. Westport, Connecticut: Hyperion Press, 1974) 44-59.
- 'Ms. Found in an Oxygen Bottle,' The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (December 1973) 88-100 [Charles Robinson comments: "this story by [Gary] Jennings details the further adventures of the Mortal Immortal and incorporates substantial portions of Mary Shelley's original tale"].
- 'The Mortal Immortal,' Mary Shelley: Collected Tales and Stories , ed. Charles E. Robinson (Baltimore and London: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1976) 219-30.
- 'The Mortal Immortal,' The Mary Shelley Reader , ed. Betty Bennett and Charles E. Robinson (New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990) 314-26.